Total Pageviews

Monday, June 14, 2010

Pride 2010!! June 28th bust out your rainbow gear & lets march...and party.

It's creeping up on me and I LOVE IT! In order to kick off the summer right & support a community that I love & adore, it is all about celebrating Pride. The three main events are; the parade, the street festival and the dance at the pier.
Always held towards the end of June to mark the anniversary of the '69 Stonewall Riots.

New York is the birth place of the modern gay rights movement
and there is no better place in the world to commemorate that then right here! Last year I had the pleasure of spending Pride in Paris and trust me when I tell ya' they don't have shit on us here in the empire state.

HOP (
Heritage of Pride), an amazing non-profit organization have been working to prefect these events for years!! If you would like to help, donations are always appreciated.

Let me just run threw the events quickly,

This year the main events are being held Sunday June 27.

The first of the day is The March, kicking it off at 12:00 sharp.
It starts
at 36th St. heading south starting on 5th. Ave ending up at Greenwich Ave.
Judy Shepard,Constance McMillen, Lt. Dan Choi have been chosen to be the Grand Marshal's of this years event. Three people who have stood up against adversity and the intolerance of others. We want to stand up and applaud them for their efforts!!!

The second event is Pridefest
Held at Hudson St. between Abingdon Sq. & West 14th St. 11:00 AM – 7:00 PM


This is fun! booths are set up. TONS of street food and lots of bars packed with people enjoying sangria and such. This is a great time to roll around with friends, cruise the tables and bar hop.

I have to admit, although I have spent Pride all over; New York, Fire Island, Paris, Chicago... I have never been able to attend the dance at the Pier. That is all about to change. I bought my tickets and I am ready to dance it out.

The Dance
Held at Pier 54, 13th St @ the West Side Highway
4:00 - 10:30 PM, Fireworks
.
Fireworks? I am down.
This event does require tickets to be purchased; unlike the march and Pridefest, which are open for free to the public.

Click here for ticket information.

The Rally
In addition to these amazing events, there is also a very important Rally which will be held a week earlier, SATURDAY JUNE 19th
72nd St. & 5th Ave. @
Rumsey Playfield Central Park 4:00 - 8:00 PM

If everyone wants equality and change. Then you need to show up and have your voice heard!! Scream for equal rights!! Just, Spike lee it and do the right thing.. Plus the emcee of this rally is a very recognizable face; comedian, Broadway star and head writer for many, many years Bruce Vilanch!! Exciting!!-Google him,if you don't know what I am talking about.

In closing, I will be Busting out my rainbow wrist bands, boa and butterfly mask...
Have fun with it and celebrate those that you LOVE and support in the LGBT community. Gay, straight, try-sexual..whatever! Stop being uptight.
Come together to celebrate how far civil rights have come and how far we still have to go.
It's going to be amazing. I will be sure to post pictures after. fo' sure.

Peace.love.dance.


No comments:

Post a Comment